To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:
- be a permanent resident, and
- submit your application in Canada.
If your PR card isn’t ready before you leave Canada or if you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). After you return to Canada, apply for a PR card.
You should only apply for a PR card if:
- your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
- your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed
- you didn’t receive your card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada
- you need to update your card to:
- legally change your name
- change your citizenship
- change your gender designation
- correct your date of birth
Time lived in Canada
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days.