Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are a key part of Canada’s immigration policy, with more than 200,000 people expected to obtain Canadian permanent residence through a Provincial Nominee Program between 2020 and 2022.
Provincial Nominee Programs are the fastest-growing economic Canadian immigration pathway. Over recent years, the federal government has gradually increased provinces’ annual allocations for their respective PNPs, showing the increasing importance of these programs within the overall Canadian immigration landscape.
How the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) works
This program is for workers who:
- have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
- want to live in that province, and
- want to become permanent residents of Canada
Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target: students, business people, skilled workers, semi-skilled workers
The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and who are interested in settling in a particular province.
Each Canadian province and territory (except Nunavut and Quebec) has its own unique Provincial Nominee Program. Each PNP has at least one immigration stream that is aligned with the federal Express Entry immigration selection system.
Provincial nominations issued under these Express Entry-aligned streams are known as 'enhanced nominations' and award Express Entry candidates an additional 600 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points.
- Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)
- British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)
- Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP)
- New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP)
- Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP)
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
- Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP)
- Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)
- Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP)
- Yukon Nominee Program (YNP)